Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eating as a single...

I'm curious, fellow single bloggers...what do you eat?

Do you actually cook meals? Do you eat fast food? Do you heat up microwaveable meals? Do you order pizza?

One of my biggest pet peeves about being single is meals. I'm not a cook (but I do love to bake), so I never really know what to make that doesn't make me feel like I'm 12 years old. For a long while, I'd make those Weight Watchers meals for lunch or dinner, then have some fruit or something. But those got old...and I'm not sure I could eat another one anytime soon.

Breakfast and lunch aren't that hard for me, but dinner is tricky. There are so many recipes I see on Pinterest that I'd like to try. All of them serve 6-8 people! Ugh! And yes, I'm aware I can divide out the recipe, but that is so annoying. Are there any recipes/books devoted to the single person?

Also, you buy the ingredients for this recipe that serves 6 people...you make 1/6 of it for yourself...and now you have all these ingredients and you don't know when/if you'll ever make it again! So now it's an expense/waste.

Sometimes it's just easier to order a pizza and chow down. Thank goodness I'm a runner!

Anyway, just wondering if this bothers any of you and if you have good suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I have two young kids and when they are away with their Dad my eating is TERRIBLE. Occasionally I eat salad 9but only with croutons, bacon and a poached egg) but often find I stick to a balanced meal of chips chocolate and cheese.
    This is something I know I should work on...but I simply don't have motivation. When the children were away for a whole week recently I made more of an effort, but still didn't eat properly. I did add extra coffee in the mix though, just for variety...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thanks SME! Glad I'm not the only one who eats horrible in the privacy of my own home. I like the balanced meal of chips, chocolate, and cheese - YUM! One of the perils of living alone...I eat whatever, whenever - and there's no one there to give me a judgmental glance.

      Delete
  2. I occasionally succumb to eating a bowl of popcorn for dinner, but mostly I try to plan normal meals. I usually bring leftovers to work for lunch, so I'll cook a recipe that can be divided into four portions, and I'll eat it for two days straight, lunch and dinner. I usually only cook 2-3 things each week, and I'm getting really tired of eating the same thing four meals in a row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calcandide - I find that making soup is great, because I can get 6 servings out of it and either eat it all week or freeze some for later. But, that gets old. And I totally agree, I'd love more variety, but don't have the time/desire to cook or to worry about finding something with fewer portions. Thanks for the affirmation!

      Delete