Thursday, August 23, 2012

Where's my handyman?

I had a teeny tiny "why me" moment last night. 

I flushed the toilet, washed my hands, and then left the bathroom.  I came back in a few minutes later, and it was still running.  And then I heard/saw leaking from the handle.  Yep, the tank was filling too high and basically overflowing.  So, water was all over the place and I was frantically grabbing towels to soak it up. 

Yes, I know the first thing to do is turn the water off.  But, due to my panic, no matter which way I turned that knob...NOTHING happened!  After a few minutes, I finally got the water to the toilet turned off and finished drying up my flooded river on the bathroom tile. 

Here's the thing, I wouldn't say my dad was super handy.  But, the FIRST person I wanted to call was my dad.  I mean, that's just a dad thing.  I would have called him and he would have talked me through a few things and then I would have dealt with it further today.  But, I couldn't call my dad.  So, that bummed me out a little. 

And then I had the "why am I single/it's not fair" moment.  I mean, I'm aware that I could be married to a guy who has no handyman skills whatsoever, but at least he'd be there...or I could call him.  Or something...rather than dealing with it all by myself.  I was heading somewhere and trying to rush anyway, so this put a crimp in my plans. 

I would have loved to have said, "Honey...do you have this under control?  I'm going to go, but will be back later."  Or, "Honey!  The toilet is leaking...what do I do?" 

I'm fortunate to have a good friend who volunteered her very kind dad to come take a look and fix it.  So, if all goes well, it will be in working order tonight.  Phew.  So, I'm counting my blessings there, as a plumber or me Googling how to fix would be much more expensive/dangerous. 

Anyway, it's those little moments in life where the single thing can get me down.  Again, I"m aware that my future mate may not have been able to do anything more than I did...but we'd be IN the mess TOGETHER! 

No comments:

Post a Comment