Monday, August 20, 2012

To date or not to date?

OK, I'm hoping I still have a few readers who can give me some advice here. 

No, I'm not dating anyone - nothing new there.  I've been so busy having fun this year, that it really hasn't been an issue. 

So, there's this guy.  We've worked together (my part-time job) for a while and have always gotten along well.  When I first met him, he was dating his long time girlfriend (who I liked).  (They are no longer dating.)I'd say we've gotten closer in the last year. 

We have a lot in common and see eye to eye on most things.  We text.  A LOT.  We talk on the phone probably once a week.  He comes to me for advice on stuff.  I tell him what's going on with me.  We usually hug when we see each other.  And I've been out for drinks/dinner with him (and a few buddies) several times.

Here's the thing.  He's 24.  I'm 35.  :-)  Didn't see that coming, did ya?

Now, I've never really had a crush or anything on him.  But, I will say I've always thought, "Dang, if he were older, I think we'd probably date."  And others have mentioned the idea to me before, in the past.

So, recently, I've had a handful of people make comments to me, such as, "Why don't you and X date?  I don't get it!  You two should date!"  And when I come back with the age difference, no one seems to think it's an issue.

I will say, he's the most mature 24 year old I've ever met.  You'd never know that's how old he is.

I have NO CLUE if people have made the same comments to him.  (Although, I'm curious!)

It's a tricky situation, but I have to say - I think I'd be open to dating him, or at least seeing what's there.  But, I really have no clue how he feels.  If I had to guess, I'd say he's had the same thought as me, "If she were younger, I'd date her."  But who knows?  My radar could be completely wrong.

I feel like all the contact (texts/phone calls) might mean something?  I don't know.  I don't want to mess up our friendship or make either one of us uncomfortable, either.

So, dear readers, what would YOU do?  What are your thoughts on this potential date?  HELP! 


1 comment:

  1. Are you both flirty towards one another? I'd say go out one-on-one with him and see how he acts toward you. If he's totally into you and you're feeling it, hell, why not date? If you happen to broach the subject of being more than friends, you can tell him that you're worried about ruining the friendship and that you both have to be totally open and honest with one another. But the age thing? Bah, go for it!

    ReplyDelete