Thursday, March 7, 2013

Single mom? No.

I was talking to a close friend the other night, who knows me inside and out.  And I was saying that the suck of my current situation is that I can't really change it and MAKE things happen.

She said, "Well, you could have a baby!" 

Just like that.  Like, it's the easiest thing on the planet.  Just do that.  Go have a baby. 

OH wait...  I'd have to file paperwork to adopt...come up with the money to adopt...get approved to adopt...  OR I could get artificially inseminated...come up with the money for that...pick a donor...

And once I have the baby (adopted or insemination), apparently it'll be easy to raise him/her on my own, without a spouse. 

OK.

I'm sure you sensed my sarcasm there. 

I've talked about my thoughts on this before.

I have zero desire to be a single mom.  I won't even get a dog, because I know I can't take care of it myself - I need to know someone else can help. 

I guess it really frustrates me that people act like it's the easiest thing to do - just adopt or make a baby.  I'm sorry, but it's NOT that simple!  And I'm not going to go into tens of thousands of dollars of debt, on my own, to have a baby to raise, on my own!  That just isn't appealing!

Not to mention that if I have a baby on my own, that will be a permanent reminder to me that I had to do it on my own...because I couldn't fricking meet someone to have a baby with.  Ugh.   

OK, I'm done shouting.  Just needed to get that off my chest.  Thank you. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh em gee! We're like two peas in a pod. I hate when people tell me the same thing. Or they add this little diddy: "You're just being selfish. You should have a baby and give it all of your love. By not having one, you're being selfish and denying an innocent child the chance of having am mom" ---someone actually has said that to me before. It took all of my will power not to smack them across the face.

    How do you deal with people like that anyway???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is the worst! Telling you you're selfish for not having one on your own? That is horrible. Wow.

      Honestly, my response when people say things like that, is much like this blog post. I make it clear WHY I'm not going to be single mom.

      I don't need to justify why I'd like to be MARRIED when I have children...and why I'd like a partner in that adventure. It's not like it's a weird thing to want.

      Delete