Thursday, March 7, 2013

The height dilemma...

So, a friend mentioned to me last night that she met a potential guy for me.  I asked her about him...and then she drops this fact.  He's 5'7"! 

OK, sorry, but I am far taller than that.  And yes, I do have a thing about not dating short guys.  Notice I didn't say shorter guys, I said short guys.  I've gone out with/dated guys who were either my height or slightly shorter.  And while that isn't my preference, I can deal with it.  But 5'7"?  Seriously, I would look like a giant. 

And that is my own insecurity, I admit it.  I absolutely hated being tall as a kid, always taller than all the boys and most of the girls.  I certainly don't need to date/marry someone who will inadvertently remind me of that EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Again, not the guy's fault that he's short, but it's not really my fault that I'm tall.

After some discussion, my friend (who has no idea of the funk I'm in right now) says, "Well, that's good.  That means that you are OK with being single/not having kids, rather than dating someone shorter than you."  I don't know why, but that SO rubbed me the wrong way.  I think her intention was that it was a positive thing, but it just made me feel like crap. 

I mean, I feel like her argument is in some way stating that only short guys are left, and since I'm unwilling to date them, I must be ok with being single/childless.  Yes, I'm taking it to a bit of an extreme, I know.  But it just hit me that way. 

Another friend who was there ended up rephrasing it in a way that made me feel less like crap.  She posed it as, "You wouldn't date an alcoholic, right?"  And this is true.  No way would I date an alcoholic.  So, it made more sense to me then.

I think I took it so personally because I've been judged so many times for the height thing.  But ya know what?  If you're a short/average height woman, I bet a guy's height doesn't even occur to you.  Because most guys are probably taller than you already!  If you're a tall woman, guys are either intimidated by your height, they want someone petite/tiny, or they are turned on by your height - because they're a short guy. 

I also took it hard because of how she phrased it - "you're ok with being single/not having kids."  I mean, seriously?  I feel like that's a bit too broad of a statement.  That couldn't be farther from the truth - since I want both of those things so badly. 

The thing is...you know what you are/aren't attracted to.  I can say with 100% certainty that I've never seen a short guy and been attracted to him.  Seriously.  Slightly shorter than me, yes, I've found them attractive.  But even then, it was hard for me to get past the fact that they weren't taller than me.  But, a guy who is significantly shorter than me?  The chances of me being attracted to him are slim.  That's just the way it is.

Anyway, it was just frustrating, considering the way I'm feeling right now.   

         

4 comments:

  1. Aww, that sucks. You're tall and have the short guy syndrome. I'm super short and love tall men. I don't mind short men, but I prefer taller men. And yeah, I know, EVERYONE is taller than me, blah, blah, blah. Well, here's to many more tall men in your future! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that most women prefer a tall guy. I mean, a tall guy makes you feel protected, right? Thanks! Yeah, I'm not knocking the shorter ladies - in fact, I think if tall is your preference, that is totally fine!

      Delete
  2. I don't blame you for being upset over your friend's comment. It kind of sounds like another variation of "you're too picky" :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. On average women prefere men who are as tall as them or taller, as rich as them or richer, as educated as them or more. And so on. And "on average" means that this is a trait billions of women showed since the dawn of time. So no, you are certainly not too picky in refusing a way shorter guy... especially since chances are he would not be comfortable either.
    .....but being so tall, exactly as being educated, is undeniably a minus in a woman's dating life. You probably should try to be less picky when you meet a guy who is at least acceptable, because on sheer number alone of potential guys "acceptables" for you in the nation you are way behind a friend of 5.6 with only an high school degree, that if cute enough could literally date almost all single men in her age range.

    ReplyDelete