Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Really, married people? You're jealous of me? Really?

I'm a little sick of married people telling me how jealous they are of me and my exciting life. 

Yes, I've taken some pretty fun trips this year, with one amazing one.  I get it.  I get that they are unable to go on these trips, given the cost and the fact that they have young children. 

But, are they really living vicariously through me?  Really? 

I don't think so. 

I've heard this a lot lately.  And here's the thing.  I'm not constantly telling my married friends who have kids that I'm jealous of them.  (Yes, they're aware I want those things, but I don't constantly say it to them.) 

I know they aren't necessarily saying it to make me feel good or whatever.  But what I'd like to say back to them is, "Really?  You're jealous?  So, you want to trade places?  You'd rather be single and go on these trips (alone) than be married and have a beautiful family?" 

"Oh, ok.  You DON'T want to trade with me?  Got it." 

Because even if they are a bit jealous of my trips, I can almost 100% guarantee they do not want to trade lives with me.  They don't want to be single.  And they don't want to give up the amazing moments they've had with their kids.  Or the amazing memories they've made as a FAMILY. 

And let me just say right now that I'm aware their lives aren't perfect or without stress/issues.  I know. 

The truth is, I would trade ANY of the trips I've taken, if it meant I was married and had a family.  No trip, to me, would be worth more than having a family. 

I highly doubt my friends would trade their family lives for a trip to Australia. 

Hey married people, are you jealous of my single income and small house?  Are you jealous that I get to go through all major life decisions on my own, with no input from a spouse?  Are you jealous that I have no built in support system to help me through things?  Are you jealous that my life never changes, but yours does? 

No?  I don't get it.  Why EVER not? 

Bitter, party of one.  Yep, that's me. 

2 comments:

  1. Now it's a bitter party for two. ;) I feel you girlie, I totally feel you on this. I get it all the time from friends and family. Except some of them go a little further and criticize the fact that I DO go out often and have a good time and travel. There are murmurs and talks behind my back. "Did you see Yvonne's Facebook? She went out again..." O.M.G.!!! Seriously??? And I so agree with you. They always tell me they're so jealous of me and my "freedom" ----when in reality, they're not. How could they want my life of alone instead of their life of a family/marriage? Meh! Sometimes I just want to poke them in the eye. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! I've heard, "Must be nice to be able to do that or go there..." a million times. Yes, it IS nice. It must be nice to have a husband and kids and do stuff together as a family. UGH! Poke them in the eye - great idea!

      Delete