Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My sibling is still a jerk...

I saw my fantastic sibling last weekend (the one who was a jerk about Thanksgiving).  I've not initiated much contact with him and limit any conversation, if possible. 

Anyway, I went to see my nephew's hockey game, which was fun.  My sibling was talking about how they went shopping for their spouse with the kids.  And bought a lot of stuff.  My in-law said they didn't ask for a lot of stuff.  And my sibling continued, saying, "Well...we bought a lot of stuff."

At this point, I chimed in, completely joking, saying to my in-law, "Take the gifts!  I don't get any presents, ENJOY!"  And was laughing as I said it.  My in-law was fine with that...but my sibling cut in while I was talking, saying, "Wah, wah, wah...I don't get any presents.  Cry me a river."  And then, under their breath, I heard, "Christmas isn't about getting, it's about giving." 

OK, let's break this down, shall we?

  1. I was joking and it was very obvious I was joking.
  2. I absolutely NEVER complain to my sibling about my single status/not getting gifts/feeling crappy about single life.  EVER.  So, I'm not sure why they felt the need to act like I just won't shut up about it.  Like, they're just so annoyed and sick of it.
  3. My in-law asked for gifts that could be used in the house...by the family.  My sibling?  They asked for gifts specifically for them...new shirts, shorts, etc.  Now, that's fine.  But, I find it interesting that they said, "Christmas isn't about getting, it's about giving," when they asked for plenty of things for themselves. 
  4. And again, I spend pleny of $$$ on their kids, so it takes some nerve to belittle me and the fact that I don't get presents.

To sum it up, they're a jerk.  I seriously think that I'll barely survive our family Christmas (which takes place after Christmas).  I'll have to focus all of my attention on the kids.  And I'm not a huge drinker, but I have a feeling I'll be drinking a lot during those few days. 

I guess I better be GRATEFUL to them if I get a gift from them this year.  I better show my unending gratitude.

Bah humbug.

2 comments:

  1. My sister in law does the same thing. She always takes what you say and twist it into something worse. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete