Thursday, July 18, 2013

WHY are you single? I just don't get it! (Me neither.)

I had dinner with a friend last night, which was great.  She's not someone I'm super close to, but whenever we chat, we can pretty much talk for hours.  Her fiance has only met me a few times, but seems to like me as well. 
Anyway, throughout our conversation, she asked if there was anything new on the dating front.  When I told her there wasn't anything new, she was just confused.  She said, "I don't get it.  I just don't understand how you're single!"  She went on to say that her fiance has asked her numerous times, "Why is she single?  I mean, it doesn't make sense!" 
Now, this is always nice to hear, for a few reasons.
  1. It means that the person I'm putting forth in the world (which is my real self) is likeable, fun, easy to talk to, outgoing, and, in a word, NORMAL. 
  2. It means that I'm not doing anything weird/awkward when I'm with people (whether they are brand new to me or old friends).
  3. It means I'm not hideous to look at.  (Sorry, folks, but looks do matter - whether you want to admit it or not.)
  4. He's a guy.  So, from the few times he's met/talked to me, he feels I'm someone who is dateable.  I think it means more from a guy, because that's my target audience for a potential mate. 
So, that is GREAT news!  However, it still doesn't explain my current predicament of being single.  And it's not like I have a magical response when people tell me this (which happens often). 

I don't know, either! 

And please, don't think I'm trying to toot my own horn here, either.  I'm not trying to say, "I'm perfect, not a thing wrong with me...I'm amazing.  HOW am I still single?"  I certainly have my flaws, like we all do.  But, it seems, based on the number of times I've heard the question, "How are you still single?," from others, that I must be alright overall. 

She asked me about online dating, and I told her my issues with that option.  And we talked about how I'm pretty active in the community.  I'm at races ALL the time.  Wouldn't you think I'd have met another runner by now?  I can't go into a store where I live without running into/seeing at least 2 people I know.  On any given day.  It's not as if I'm a wallflower, staying in my house all day/weekend long. 

Bottom line?  I'm just as confused as anyone else as to why I'm still single.  I have no answer, other than God must be prepping a really amazing guy for me... 

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, sister! And by all means, TOOT YOUR OWN HORN! We have to! I feel as you, baffled by the age old question, "Why are you still single?" ---- I hate it. I don't know why. I have some of your same fears and concerns. I mean, sometimes I feel like I'm good enough to to be your friend, just not your girlfriend. What is that about? And I also believe God has this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G man for me. Or maybe he forgot about it? But I remind him every.day. :) Hang in there, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS! It is such a mystery, right? God has a plan, but I wish He'd let ME in on it! One of the best things about this blog has been meeting other people, like you, who can relate! In my "real" world, I'm surrounded by nearly all married people. Let's both hang in there and think positive!

      Delete