Monday, July 15, 2013

Yes, I'm going on vacation by myself...

I'm taking a pretty big vacation this year (in addition to some little ones).  A friend of mine (and her family) are living in Australia for a few years.  So, I've decided to just do it and go there to visit!  I'm very excited for the trip and all that I'll get to see and do.  I'm also going to Cairns for a few days, to see the Great Barrier Reef and several other things.

Would it be great if I had a boyfriend/husband to go on this trip with me?  Of course.  Do I wish I had a spouse going with me?  Of course.  Is there a spouse going with me?  NO.

Lucky for me, anyone who asks me about the trip immediately asks one of the following questions:


  1. Who are you going with?
  2. Are you going by yourself?  
  3. Is your friend going to the reef with you?
  4. Are you going by yourself?  (I know I already mentioned this one, but it's worth repeating.)
Now, I understand that it's natural to ask who someone is going with.  But seriously, I've been bombarded with these questions/comments.  It really puts a cloud over something I'm excited about.

It also makes me feel like I'm a pathetic loser, going on this trip by myself.  I know, I know.  I'm not a loser and it's perfectly fine to vacation by yourself.  But, it still feels sucky.  Especially when I'm constantly reminded of it when someone says, "You're going by yourself?"

On the other hand, I'm sort of excited that I'll be by myself in Cairns.  I'm planning to do some really fun activities and hit some restaurants/bars at night.  Maybe I'll find myself a hot Aussie?

I'm guessing people in relationships/marriages don't even have to think about this stuff.  Meanwhile, I've planned the trip by myself, with no one to bounce ideas/rates off of.

Anyway, I'm going to choose to be excited about this once in a lifetime trip and have as much fun as I possibly can!  

1 comment:

  1. Going on a vacation either alone or with your loved one has both its pros and cons. Enjoying the vacation is compulsory when you go on one. Vacations serve as a quick break from the cynical bonds of work and other factors that stress us. Staying in a good hotel with amenities to make your night into a memorable one is a good way to go too.

    Marci Deegan @ Twin Pine

    ReplyDelete