Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What is the financial benefit to being single?

Well, it's that time of year.  Time to do taxes. 

Typically, I get a small refund from both Federal and State.  And my accountant has always told me that's how it should be, that I'm doing it right.  Yet everyone I know seems to get a gigantic refund.  And yes, they're all married.  Some with kids.  Some without.  What am I doing wrong? 

This year, I'm so lucky.  I get to PAY IN to Federal, for the first time EVER!  Oh, the joy.  I'm getting a small refund back from State.  So, I'm basically breaking even.  And I realize it could be worse.  I could be paying a crapload in and not break even at all. 

But still.  HOW does everyone I know get a big refund?  What the frick?  And I don't know enough about taxes, etc...but I have to think that being married has something to do with it.  And obviously, kids are deductions, so I know for sure they have something to do with it. 

Now, I don't see kids as deductions.  That's not what I'm saying.  I'm just saying that you can claim them as dependents/deductions.  And yes, I realize kids are expensive.  I'm aware. 

Here I am, a pretty hard worker, working 3 jobs...and I don't get a giant refund?  Ugh. 

With the mood I'm in, this just makes me more angry.  It's like I'm being penalized by the country/state for being single and childless.  This seems unfair.

I already support myself on one income, while many of my married friends have TWO incomes to pay the SAME bills I do.  And then additional costs for kids, yes.

Married people love to make comments to single people about their disposable income.  "Oh, you can afford to do that.  You're single."  No, I can't, actually.  I'm paying all of my bills on this one income.  And it's probably less than half of what you and your spouse bring in each year.  I don't have a spouse to discuss/plan finances with.  I'm just winging it.  Cry me a river, married people.  I don't think you're rich.  But I do think you have some financial advantages that I wish I had.       

Along those lines, let's talk about coupons.  I'm not a crazy couponer.  In fact, I rarely use them, unless I have one that came in the mail.  BUT, have you ever noticed that most coupons are "buy one get two free?"  Or something like that?  Yeah.  Cuz if I buy one 8 pack of toilet paper, I'm definitely gonna need two more of those.  Um, NO.  And really, those type of coupons are for food a lot of the time.  Food expires.  So, I can't eat that many of whatever the coupon is for...and therefore I don't get the "deal."  Or pizza coupons..."buy 2 for x amount" or "buy 1 for x (much larger) amount." 

So, you can see why I don't use a lot of coupons.

Alright, I think two bitter posts in one day is enough.  Right?  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I don't get it either. I don't have to pay this year but I saw how much money I made last year and the amount of my refund and yeah, I totally feel penalized for being single and childless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to know someone else feels the same way!

      Delete