Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Feeling a bit suffocated...

Is anyone else feeling a bit suffocated?

I would say 99% of my friends are married with children. At this point, 10 of those friends are expecting/just gave birth to their second or third child. Recently, I was invited to a couples shower for a distant college friend whose wife was expecting. I will admit here, that I was a bit relieved to have a conflict and not be able to attend.

It's all a bit too much for me sometimes.

Don't get me wrong. Of course I'm thrilled that my friends have found happiness and are experiencing parenthood. But, I guess I was hoping that I'd get to experience it too...along with them.

It gets a bit tiring when friends complain to me, "Marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be...kids will drive you crazy." Oh really? I'm just so sorry for you...

Meanwhile, they've had a constant companion for the last ten years while I've gone on mutliple set-ups that didn't work out.

Again, everyone has the right to complain...I get that. I guess I sometimes feel like I can't handle those specific complaints anymore.

In addition to that, I've had to attend all of these weddings and showers...by myself. I don't mind going somewhere by myself, but when the majority at that event is part of a couple...it's a bit upsetting. I don't think married/coupled people have any clue how hard it is to be a single in those situations. I think they take it for granted that they have a permanent "date" at all times. Maybe I'm wrong.

Those are my ramblings for today...

2 comments:

  1. This post made me think of this article I read a few weeks ago...thought you might get a kick out of it.

    http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/datingtips/89007/19-things-you-should-never-say-to-a-single-person

    I totally understand how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That was great, thanks for sharing! I agree with every single one...and believe me, I've heard all of them multiple times.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete