Friday, May 21, 2010

The Work Set-Up

This was a setup through work. I was living and working down south after college. At one point, I was working three jobs and barely had time to sleep, let alone date. I agreed to go with an open mind.

He was a little shy, but seemed nice.

Warning: This story reflects more poorly on me than the guy.

We were making small talk as we waited to be seated. I was talking about how much kids have changed since we were kids. There just didn’t seem to be a respect for adults anymore. I was telling him I noticed this during my teaching experience in the inner city. I then made the point that many of my students had parents who were very young. Their parents had become pregnant in high school and weren’t ready. So I basically made a point of saying that it was a vicious cycle and teenage pregnancies are a huge issue.

When he started talking about his family, he mentioned his sister.

Yeah, she got pregnant at 16 and it was a big issue. I felt about one inch tall and so embarrassed. He handled it well, but I learned that you shouldn’t completely speak your mind on the first date, because you just don’t know enough about that person’s history.

We did end up going out another time, but I don't think it was meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment